Magnetic Particle Testing
Magnetic Particle testing is utilized to inspect ferromagnetic materials for defects located at or near the surface.
Testing is done to our SOP’s at a minimum which meet or exceed ASTM E-709.
Customer procedures and specifications can be met with ease, with our extensive array of equipment.
- Portable capacitor discharge up to 12,000 AMP
- Portable AC / DC continuous box up to 2,000 AMP
- DC coil up to 13,650 Amp / Turns
- AC yoke lifting power of 10 lbs
Benefits of Magnetic Particle Testing:
- Surface preparation not as critical when compared to Penetrant Testing
- Able to detect surface and near surface discontinuities
- Parts with thin non-conductive coatings can be inspected using this method with out removal
- Post- test cleaning is minimal
Disadvantages of Magnetic Particle Testing:
- Limited to ferromagnetic materials
- Decrease in sensitivity under surface
- Discontinuity orientation must be known or two separate tests must be done
- Not reliable for porosity
BHA is well versed in performing Magnetic Particle Testing to the following industry standards:
- ISO 10407-2
- API standards
- ASTM standards
- ASME standards
- Customer standards